Sunday, March 27, 2011

Self-Portrait







Standing on the Blue Ridge Parkway
My name is Sarah Stuart Towery and I am from High Point, North Carolina. I am currently attending the University of North Carolina School of the Arts as a contemporary dance major in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Going to school 20 minutes away from home as been extremely relieving for me because I am very family orientated. My sister, Taylor, is my best friend and she has definitely helped me a lot through hard times. My sister has a beautiful four-year-old named Anna, who is so creative and intelligent. My parents were both born and raised in High Point. My mother, Leigh, is currently living in Durham, North Carolina. She works for a company called United Guaranty as an underwriter. Unfortunately my father, Scott, passed away in 2008; he was an excellent carpenter and a very kind person, he is greatly missed.
My hometown High Point, NC

As for my heritage, I am not sure when exactly my family moved to the United States. I do know that I am mostly Scottish and English. I would love to do more research on where and when my family came to the United States, I just have never had the opportunity to discover much besides knowing that I am related to the Wright Brothers on my mother’s side.

For newcomers to the United States, the most important things to get across to young adults are to find something that interest you and follow your dream. The main reason for finding a hobby is because I have found that young adults that have a steady hobby and set their goal high, will not get in as much trouble as the ones who do not goals or hobbies they would like to pursue. Another thing to look out for are drugs, alcohol, and other people.
My Daddy and I 
On the beach of Scotland
Now that I am older and can look back on my life, I have realized a couple of things. First of all, I have always been a dancer. My sister, Taylor, was in dance lessons when I was around 2 and my parents told me that I would not leave the space and would want to take class with my sister. My whole life I have always dance and will also have the soul and passion of a dancer. The other thing I have realized is that media has grown as a lifestyle since my generation was born. For example, my four-year-old niece knows how to work my blackberry and my sister’s iPhone, which is crazy to me since I remember when my dad got his car phone.

My Life as a Whole 
When I was younger, my great grandmother had two gardens, which she planted until she was 85 years old and started to get sick.  We planted all types of food like: corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, cantaloupe, watermelon, and etc. Farming was a great way to spend time with the family as a whole. I feel like if every family had a small garden in their yard, it could possibly lure children to be outside instead of sitting on the computer or video games. It is the most amazing experience to watch a tiny seed turn into the most delicious food you have ever taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment